From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: SIMS Auto-Reply anti-loop feature
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 06:59:31 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 12:53 PM +0100 9/20/00, Steve Linford wrote:
>I just had an Auto-Reply ping-pong fight with Mindspring's server (I sent
>from a SIMS account that had an autoreply, to a mindspring account that had
>an autoreply), and 200 autoreplies later I have conceded victory to the
>Mindspring server... I gave up first ;)

>However, if possible in a future version, it would be great if SIMS would
>add the "Precedence: Bulk" header when sending an autoreply, to help avoid
>mail loops.

Would a separately configurable REPLY-TO field help? It would be very handy to be able to have replies to an auto-reply go somewhere OTHER than to the auto-reply address.

For example, one auto-reply I set up some time ago was to send out an entry form for a contest. It had to include instructions on where it should be sent. If I had been able to specify a REPLY-TO address when setting this up in SIMS, entrants could have simply replied to the entry form email to send it to the entry address.

Wouldn't a REPLY-TO field, containing other than the auto-reply address, have avoided the dueling auto-replies experienced by Steve?

Internet Tools for Business --  <http://www.CyberSpaces.net/>
E-commerce capable web hosting