From: Mark Hartman <mh-list@harthaven.com>
Subject: Re: What happens when mail is addressed to "foo>com"
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:32:24 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 5:11 AM -0700 9/26/00, Steve Linford wrote:
>Here's a wierd one, the connecting server tried resubmitting this all
>night. In the end I had to blacklist the From address to make it go
>away. The sysadmin of blackhole.unosoft.co.uk later said his customer
>was trying to mail "msg.de" but had addressed it to "msg>de" by
>mistake.
>
>I do have a similar domain here, "msg.co.uk", but how
>blackhole.unosoft.co.uk got here is beyond me. However I think SIMS
>should have replied with a 5xx error as that domain could not
>possibly exist:

Two items.

First, the sysadmin of blackhole.unosoft.co.uk probably has his router
assuming that any single-word domain "xyz" is actually "xyz.co.uk" and
routing on that basis.  This is generally a Bad Idea, but he probably
does it because he's got lazy web users who don't feel like typing
".co.uk" all the time (and frankly, I don't blame them).

Second, <j_schmiedt@msg> is a perfectly valid e-mail address, provided
that "msg" is significant at your site (and it may be; "local" is
significant
at mine).  However, it seems to me that if it doesn't translate to
something,
it's not GOING to translate to something, and SIMS should issue a 5xx error
rather than a 4xx error.

Of course, you could always put:

    *@msg = *@msg.co.uk

in your router to clear it up.