From: Peter Lalor <plalor@infoasis.com>
Subject: Re: Attempts Made counter doesn't increment
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:58:47 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
From: Andrew Wellington <wellingr@tpgi.com.au>

The problem is that there is NO 500 (or 5XX) error being sent back, but merely that the connection is dropped at TCP/IP level. Hence SIMS thinks that a transport error occurred and doesn't consider it an attempt. The mail server at the other end is broken.

That may be, but SIMS still made an attempt. You'd think it should increment the Attempts Made counter accordingly, even if it never contacted the other mail server at all.

As an aside, one of the 10 Mb+ file in my Queue that exhibited this problem has gone away, so it appears that SIMS is deleting them after five days or so anyway.