From: Kreme <kreme@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: Attempts Made counter doesn't increment
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 12:55:01 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
From: Kreme <kreme@kreme.com>

From: Andrew Wellington <wellingr@tpgi.com.au>

The problem is that there is NO 500 (or 5XX) error being sent back, but merely that the connection is dropped at TCP/IP level. Hence SIMS thinks that a transport error occurred and doesn't consider it an attempt. The mail server at the other end is broken.
That may be, but SIMS still made an attempt. You'd think it should increment the Attempts Made counter accordingly, even if it never contacted the other mail server at all.
Of course not.  If it did this then anytime you lost your connection you would loose mail as the counter increased.

And yet we routinely receive back failed messages stating "Couldn't speak with <far end> for x days"... I guess that's handled by a different mechanism than the Attempts Made counter.

Yep.