From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Problems sending attachments (follow up)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:26:12 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:01 PM -0700 10/17/00, Tod Fitch imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
Regarding file attachments being corrupted when sent from a SIMS account to another ISP:

Because POP and in bound SMTP worked (as well as FTP and HTTP) I suspected SIMS, but could not prove it. It turns out SIMS is not the problem :)

Apparently my firewall/DSL modem setup has limited buffering somewhere. By using OT Advanced Tuner to set the Max MTU size to 1400 rather than the default 1500 I seem to have cured the problem.

That's VERY weird.

It should not be possible for that device to corrupt data. This implies that it is not just having some sort of buffer problem, but that it is neglecting to handle NAT forwarding correctly.

You may want to make some noise at the vendor. This is NOT a case of your Mac doing anything wrong, but of that DSL interface doing something provably wrong in a perfectly reasonable situation.

--
Bill Cole
MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group