From: Tod Fitch <tod@LTFdesign.com>
Subject: Re: Restarting a hanging Mac
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 16:05:20 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 03:10 PM 11/1/2000 , Christian F Buser wrote:
<snip>
I could always just press the reset button, and the machine comes up again perfectly. But I have to go to the server room at my ISP where the machine is, and this is not just next door. So here is my idea - tell me whether this can be done or not.

1) I can have a phone line installed in the server room.
2) I have a device connected to that phone line. When the phone "rings", this device would cycle the power so that my server would be switched off (due to missing power). Of course, it is set to auto-boot on power on in the control panel (I think it's called "Energy Saver" in the english system version).

Problem is: Who can make such a device? The people who make the PowerKey Rebound have something similar, but only for 110 volt, I need a 220 volt version.
<snip>

In the U.S. there is a series of "home automation" products that use a protocol called X-10. These send commands through the building power to modules that can control lights and appliances. There are "telephone responder" units for this system that allow you to call in and use the TDMF key pad tones to turn on and off specific modules (and thus anything plugged into them).

I have heard it suggested that a telephone responder unit and an appliance module connected after your UPS (so other power line noise does not affect it) could be used. Plug your computer into the appliance module. When it goes down, call the responder, enter your pass code, then signal the module to turn off then on.

This could work for you on a 220v 50Hz system if you used a North American UPS run off of a transformer from your 220v lines. (I assume a universal power supply on your Mac that can run on either 110/60 or 220/50.)

Alternatively, I have seen comments about X-10 like devices for use with 220v 50Hz power on some of the X-10 newsgroups. It has been a number of years since I followed any of that, so I am not up to date. It could be that there are commercially available X-10 like devices for 220 nowadays.