From: Tod Fitch <tod@LTFdesign.com>
Subject: Re: Migration Issue
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:28:42 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>From Dave Pooser, received 13/11/00, 2:40 pm -0600 (GMT):
> I'm getting set to migrate my office from ASIP 6.3 mail to SIMS 1.8b8.
> Unfortunately, I'm just too lazy to type in 80-odd usernames and passwords
> if I can avoid it. I understand that SIMS can use MacOS passwords, but the
> potential problem is usernames. We use user names that are first and last
> names separated by a space, and then use the internet alias feature to
> define email addresses. For example, my username is Dave Pooser, with my
> internet alias set to dave.pooser -- will SIMS realize that the email
> account for dave.pooser belongs to Dave Pooser and uses the same password?
> Or am I out of luck?

Personally I would Applescript this using a FileMaker database. You could
export all your users and passwords into FileMaker, make a calculation
field to swap "Dave Pooser" into dave.pooser, and let FileMaker tell SIMS
to create all the accounts. The Applescript for this is fairly easy.

> the passwords are encrypted

Hmm, that's going to be fun.

You could have the database program generate new random passwords for all accounts. Have the database then generate email to each user notifying them of the change. If I recall correctly, SIMS allows remote password changes (supported by at least some mail clients). So the users could then change the passwords back to anything they wanted.