From: Ron Risley <ron@risley.net>
Subject: Re: WARNING about spamCOP
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:51:20 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 14:57 -0500 11/21/00, Joseph D'Andrea opined:
Only trouble is SpamCop reported to the admin of 209.191.23.11 that one of their servers was involved in the transmission of spam. It took me 2 hours to explain to the idiots in their tech support dept about how to read the headers and how this was an error on the part of spamcop.

I'm not sure I'd characterize this as an error on SpamCop's part. The mail *was* relayed through 209.191.23.11, and there isn't any way to tell from the mail headers that it wasn't an open relay.

Also, it is my (admittedly limited) understanding that, by default, SpamCop wouldn't have notified the admin of 209.191.23.11; instead, it would notify ORBS that the server was a *possible* open relay. ORBS would then automatically test the server, and only if it *was* an open relay would ORBS notify the admin. So, unless you changed the SpamCop defaults, or unless SIMS is actually an open relay, your admin wouldn't have gotten the notice.

--Ron
--
Ron Risley            ||
mailto:ron@risley.net ||  the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'