From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Anti SPAM methods
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:37:59 -0500
To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
[Paul: you'll see this twice since I didn't realize that you had sent your
message to the list as well as to me directly]

At 9:45 AM -0500 11/22/00, Paul Hess  imposed structure on a stream of
electrons, yielding:
>At 1:13 AM -0500 11/22/00, Bill Cole wrote:
>>Being only in ORBS is rather low-impact. My employer's machines are all in
>>ORBS and I have yet to see a rejection. (No, they are not open relays.)
>
>Have you (or they) submitted the IP addresses to the ORBS online form to
>be removed?  If so, any idea why it didn't work?

It's not that simple. Note that I work for MAPS, the organization that
originated the DNS blacklist mechanism used by ORBS, and it is the MAPS
mail servers that I referred to.

ORBS' policy is to list any site that asks to not be tested. They also do
not stop testing a site when asked to stop. If they are blocked from
testing, they list the  site that blocks them. It makes absolutely no
difference whether the site in question ever was an open relay or whether
there is any basis to believe that it ever will be a spam source. The ORBS
testing methods can result in mail going to a site admin on every test,
and that can be a significant nuisance. My boss had a choice between
letting ORBS persistently test and retest his machines for no reason and
drop useless mail into his mailbox every time or going into the ORBS
manual list, and he chose the latter.

ORBS is not just about open relays, it is about Alan Brown's ego. ORBS
engages in abuse of the electronic mail system under the theory that the
ends justify the means.

--
Bill Cole
Senior Consultant, MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group