From: Kreme <kreme@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: unverified spam delivered
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 16:56:29 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>From Andrzej Kozlowski, received 1/12/00, 8:50 am -0800 (GMT):
> I am running Stalker 1.8b8. I have "verify return paths" checked in the SMTP
> settings. Yet just now a piece of spam was delivered which failed to verify.
> Here is the relevant log:
>
> 16:15:06 3 SMTP-022(smcs.tcdsb.on.ca) Failed to verify. Real address is
> [207.236.90.164:4028]

It was the host name given at the HELO command that failed to verify, this
is normal as many hosts are badly set up.

Not nessevarily even badly setup.  There is no requirement for a mailserver to report its real name.  For example, you might have several mail machines at mysip.com.  Each of them may report themselves to be "mail.myisp.com" even thought they are really "ms1.mail.myisp.com" "mail3.myisp.com" and "smptp.mail.myisp.com."

This is not "badly setup."