From: Technical Support, Stalker Labs <support@stalker.com>
Subject: Re: Address harvesting and secondary servers (long post)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 20:33:37 +0300
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hello,

On Fri, Dec 8, 2000, 4:20:35 PM GMT
  Tod Fitch, <tod@LTFdesign.com> wrote:

[skipped]

>The Problems and Questions:
>1) By virtue of overloading my server, the spammer used up resources at the
>secondary servers. I feel bad that I dumped that load on the secondaries.
>What  can/should I do to keep from dumping on the secondaries in the future.
>
>2) Is there any way I can configure SIMS so that the secondary services I
>provide for others does not end up being a relay for a address harvesting
>event that overloads their connection limit? (I already use the
>mail-abuse.org blacklists to validate all connections received including
>that for mail for which I am providing secondary services.)

[skipped]

The problem is well known but we have not found a good solution yet.

I see only two methods, which are not implemented yet:

1. Rather than rejecting connections when address harvesting is detected, act as if a  spamtrap has been hit.

2. Find a way to share black lists between servers (eg. starting some local RBL server to be used by backups?)

Anyone, more ideas on this?

Best regards,
Dmitry Akindinov