From: Technical Support, Stalker Labs <support@stalker.com>
Subject: Re: Address harvesting and secondary servers (long post)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 21:37:14 +0300
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hello,

On Fri, Dec 8, 2000, 5:57:18 PM GMT
  Kreme, <kreme@kreme.com> wrote:

>At 20:33 12/08/2000 +0300, you wrote:
>>1. Rather than rejecting connections when address harvesting is detected,
>>act as if a  spamtrap has been hit.
>>
>>2. Find a way to share black lists between servers (eg. starting some
>>local RBL server to be used by backups?)
>
>A third, and possibly cooler solution:
>
>Have Sims "share" it's tempban/spamtraps with it's secondary
>servers.  How?  Um... I have no idea, but it sure sounds cool :-)  Of
>course, this works only if both servers are running Sims...

A local RBL (dynamically updated from TempBan and static lists) can be used by backups, even if they are not SIMS...

>A fourth, and I think best solution:  Have Sims treat incoming mail from
>the secondary server differently.
>
>1) Have it ignore the secondary's IP and look at the previous hop to
>determine RBL/spamtrap/harvesting info.

Yes, I though of this. But preventing the secondary from unnecessary relaying would be cooler...

>2) if incoming mail from the secondary fails a harvest/spamtrap/rbl test,
>have it treated like a spamtrap.  That is, mail is rejected back to the
>previous hop.  If it can't be rejected back to the server before the
>secondary (which I suspect is the case) have the mail discarded in whole.

Not ideal. This ties up connection resources both on the secondary and primary... But anyway this falls under 1 I suggested :-)

>3) Never add the secondary to the temp ban list.

Judging from DNS? Not safe. IPs in the Clients list are not affected by TempBan (at least in the latest dev versions)

Best regards,
Dmitry Akindinov