From: Tod Fitch <tod@LTFdesign.com>
Subject: Re: Address harvesting and secondary servers
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:30:36 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 09:33 AM 12/8/2000 , Technical Support, Stalker Labs wrote:
Hello,

[skipped]

The problem is well known but we have not found a good solution yet.

I see only two methods, which are not implemented yet:

1. Rather than rejecting connections when address harvesting is detected, act as if a  spamtrap has been hit.

2. Find a way to share black lists between servers (eg. starting some local RBL server to be used by backups?)

Anyone, more ideas on this?

I like the idea of sharing our local temp bans via local RBL DNS. But...

In my case I run QDNS Pro on the same machine as SIMS. I suspect some run their DNS on other machines or use other DNS servers. It would seem a big job to cover all the possible bases.

The easiest way I see to implement this would be to have SIMS provide a built in RBL DNS server. In my case I would need a second IP address so that the SIMS RBL server could peacefully co-exist with my DNS server.

I suspect getting SIMS to correctly interact with an indefinite number of third party DNS servers would be too complicated to consider.

Another interesting possibility: Have a RBL server somewhere that can automatically accept temp ban address harvesting entries from mail servers. Perhaps harvest.mail-abuse.org could be created. Any entry submitted would be aged out in a short time, say 10 or 20 minutes. This would limit the impact on other innocent Internet users, so mail-abuse.org's normal verification process for additions would not be needed. Then have SIMS (or what ever mail server you want to use) send notifications to that server when address harvesting is detected.

Just some thoughts....