From: Kreme <kreme@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: 50MByte emails
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:49:13 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 12:49 12/14/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>The account size limitation is only triggered _after_ the size has been
>exceeded, so you don't stop a 10MB user from receiving the first gigantic
>mails, only the second one.

Wait... does this mean that if I have a user set to 5mb of mail space,
and he gets a 20mb file, it will accept it, because as of when the file
came in, he was under the 5mb limit? It will only then reject mail AFTER
allowing the account to go 15mb over size?

Yup.

See, the incoming mail is not received "by the account."  It's received by SIMS, which then transfers it into the account mailbox.  So, it appears to work like this:

1) Mail comes in
2) SIMS checks if the mailbox can receive the file.  If not, it rejects the mail.
3) SIMS receives the mail.  ALL of the mail.
4) SIMS tries to transfer the mail to the mailbox.  If it can't, it rejects the mail.

so, if the mailbox is not full and there's a 1MB limit on the mail and a 400MB attachment comes in, SIMS receives it.  NB: Not 100% sure of this, but it looks like that's what happens.

It's a bit of a DOS hole, but since I haven't gotten nailed by it and my server sits on a T1 anyway I'll live with it.