From: Robert Brenstein <rjb@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
Subject: Re: 50MByte emails
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:22:11 +0100
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>At 12:49 12/14/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>> >The account size limitation is only triggered _after_ the size has been
>> >exceeded, so you don't stop a 10MB user from receiving the first gigantic
>> >mails, only the second one.
>>
>>Wait... does this mean that if I have a user set to 5mb of mail space,
>>and he gets a 20mb file, it will accept it, because as of when the file
>>came in, he was under the 5mb limit? It will only then reject mail AFTER
>>allowing the account to go 15mb over size?
>
>Yup.
>
>See, the incoming mail is not received "by the account."  It's received by
>SIMS, which then transfers it into the account mailbox.  So, it appears to
>work like this:

I think that the real problem is that SIMS does not know in advance how
large the incoming mail is. It has to receive it to find this out.

>1) Mail comes in
>2) SIMS checks if the mailbox can receive the file.  If not, it rejects the
>mail.
>3) SIMS receives the mail.  ALL of the mail.
>4) SIMS tries to transfer the mail to the mailbox.  If it can't, it rejects
>the mail.

But at step 4, SIMS would know that the mailbox will exceed the limit.
Judging from earlier posts it puts the file in anyway. Is it because at
this point it can't tell the sender anymore that the mail is not acceptable?

It would be reasonable if we could specify the max size of incoming mail,
so SIMS can abort receiving (step 3) if that size is exceeded. This would
be a cap for all, of course. SMTP protocol allows for aborting transfer if
I am not mistaken.

Robert