From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: 50MByte emails
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:43:47 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 8:45 AM -0500 12/15/00, David Muszynski  imposed structure on a stream
of electrons, yielding:
>on 12/15/00 4:22 AM, Robert Brenstein at rjb@rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:
>
>> It would be reasonable if we could specify the max size of incoming mail,
>> so SIMS can abort receiving (step 3) if that size is exceeded. This would
>> be a cap for all, of course. SMTP protocol allows for aborting transfer if
>> I am not mistaken.
>
>The SMTP server I administer at work (on Win2000 Server) does this. You can
>set a system wide preference to break a connection after X amount of bytes
>are exceeded. Then when the foreign host trys to reconnect it sends an error
>message based on the e-mails header.

Another approach to this is the 'SIZE' extension to SMTP, defined in
RFC1870. If the client says 'EHLO' instead of 'HELO' an extended server
like SIMS replies with a list of extension keywords and arguments
indicating which standard extensions are supported. Right now SIMS says:

>220-Stalker Internet Mail Server V.1.8b8 is ready.
>220 ESMTP is spoken here. You are very welcome
>ehlo toaster
>250-sc1.scconsult.com is pleased to meet you
>250-HELP
>250-PIPELINING
>250-ETRN
>250-AUTH=LOGIN
>250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
>250 EHLO

If it also had in there this line:

250-SIZE 5000000

then smart senders would know not to try to send anything over 5MB (approx).

Better yet, SIMS could be made to fully support this extension by working
with the extended MAIL command syntax also defined in RFC1870. I don't
really understand why SIMS (or any integrated MTA/mailbox server) doesn't
support all of RFC1870 because it seems like a fairly simple thing, but
I'm sure Stalker has their reasons.

--
Bill Cole
Senior Consultant, MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group