From: Nick Quinn <nquinn@acm.org>
Subject: Re: 50MByte emails
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 12:40:13 +1000
To: (SIMS Discussions) <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Thanks to all who responeded, Sorry for being so slow in reply, but I am on
the digest.

on 15/12/00 11:00 PM, (SIMS Discussions) Robert Brenstein
<rjb@rz.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

>>> Wait... does this mean that if I have a user set to 5mb of mail space,
>>> and he gets a 20mb file, it will accept it, because as of when the file
>>> came in, he was under the 5mb limit? It will only then reject mail AFTER
>>> allowing the account to go 15mb over size?
>>
>> Yup.
>>
>> See, the incoming mail is not received "by the account."  It's received by
>> SIMS, which then transfers it into the account mailbox.  So, it appears to
>> work like this:
>
> I think that the real problem is that SIMS does not know in advance how
> large the incoming mail is. It has to receive it to find this out.
>
>> 1) Mail comes in
>> 2) SIMS checks if the mailbox can receive the file.  If not, it rejects the
>> mail.
>> 3) SIMS receives the mail.  ALL of the mail.
>> 4) SIMS tries to transfer the mail to the mailbox.  If it can't, it rejects
>> the mail.
>>

> But at step 4, SIMS would know that the mailbox will exceed the limit.
> Judging from earlier posts it puts the file in anyway. Is it because at
> this point it can't tell the sender anymore that the mail is not acceptable?
>
> It would be reasonable if we could specify the max size of incoming mail,
> so SIMS can abort receiving (step 3) if that size is exceeded. This would
> be a cap for all, of course. SMTP protocol allows for aborting transfer if
> I am not mistaken.

It needs a "reject - not enough room" type diagnostic. I, stupidly, aborted
the transmission and, of course, got it back again. Also senders needs to be
notified otherwise they simply send again.

Checking the WebStar email facility, it say that it can reply that it was
"too long (error 552)". Is this part of SMTP or some WebStar novelty?

Nick Quinn
Sunshine Beach Software in OZ