From: Tod Fitch <tod@LTFdesign.com>
Subject: Re: Using SIMS as mobile SMTP Solution
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 09:04:08 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
If I understand your setup, you have a copy of SIMS on your laptop that you are using to send mail with rather than your normal client.

There are two possible configurations you could use on SIMS and they both have problems, or at least potential problems:

1) Configure SIMS to use one of the two network's SMTP servers. The problem here is that SIMS will get the same "cannot relay" response that your email client gets when you are on the other network. This is worse than having your client get the message because it is not directly displayed to you.

2) Configure SIMS to send mail directly to the destination. The problem here is that if you are using a dial up, and if the ISP had entered its dial up lines into the MAPS RBL, then many mail servers will refuse to accept mail from you.

A second problem with both setups is that SIMS runs in the background and unless you run CommuniGator or a web browser to check the output queue, you will not know when the mail has actually been sent so you will not know when it is safe to unplug the computer from the network.

If you can get your email client to work with the location manager this might be your best bet.