From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Using SIMS as mobile SMTP Solution
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:59:59 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 12:09 PM -0500 1/2/01, David Muszynski  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
on 1/2/01 11:21 AM, Mike Ma at mikema1701@yahoo.com wrote:

 I had SIMS 1.8b installed and have tried 1.7. Neither prevented this
 problem. Also, not all messages get stopped from either location (so there
 isn't a firewall in place). Messages that got stuck were to different people
 (ie. not one person's address was causing a problem). I tried giving more
 memory to SIMS and increasing the number of TCP connections allowed for
 sending and receiving.

Is it possible that you weren't physically attached to a network when you
tried to send those mails?
Also make sure that you uncheck the 'load only when needed' option in the
TCP-IP control panel.
Other than that, if you're set up like they say to in the MacFixIt article I
don't know what might be the problem.

If he is seeing the same MacFixit 'article' I can find, there isn't much detail, just a note from a reader in 4 lines. This trick is likely to cause more trouble than it solves unless done very carefully with an eye to where mail is actually being relayed. The days of anyone accepting mail from anywhere are over, thanks to spammers and the mess introduced by insecure active-content email (Thank MS for that...)

I have been wondering lately whether there might be a market for a good outbound relay service that mobile uses could buy accounts on and set up as their sole mail server. It's not an idea that I could run with given my current employment, but it might be a really nice way to make a few bucks in an increasingly security-conscious mail world.

--
Bill Cole
Senior Consultant, MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group