From: <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: (OT) egroups not spam? (was: Re: ORBS improving?)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 00:52:43 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Paul Hess <hess2@yacht.com> wrote:

but the egroups part of it is solid and not spamming.

Actually, I can take issue with that one.  Though many - probably most - egroups lists at this point do not spam, there are some that appear to be created with that as their sole purpose.  I can name at least one that subscribed me without my consent, then sent me continued ads for their product under the guise of an announcement list (usually the same or extremely similar message).  When I reported it to abuse@egroups, they switched to invitations to join their "new" email group (the same one I had just gotten unsubscribed from), at the same frequency.

I don't like to even think this, but I expect that we'll be seeing more of this kind of behavior in the future.   I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the free listservs get choked with this kind of stuff, and their usefulness in general goes down as they get blacklisted by more users.

BC
--
Bill Christensen
billc@greenbuilder.com