From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: <no subject>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:33:03 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 3:46 PM -0700 3/15/01, Leonard Spell  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:

Thanks for your reply.  Maybe you can tell me if I am going to get into
trouble with this - but - since I host and route all of the domains, I gave
SIMS the domain that I want replies to go out with.  I tested it and it
worked.  Since I don't understand SIMS fully yet - must it have the domain
name of the machine it is on or will a CNAME work for DNS routing?

The SIMS main domain name is not checked by SIMS against DNS at all. It is what SIMS considers as its own identity. For it to work, the name should be one for which mail will eventually go to that machine. That can be a name that only has an MX record pointing at the SIMS machine, it can be a name with an A record pointing at the machine, or if you really want it can be a name that only has a CNAME record that maps it to a name with an A record for that machine.  I'd avoid the CNAME because I see them as a generally bad idea (I know of exactly one good use for them, and it is rather arcane) but you can use it if you really want to.

and on this: