From: Dave Pooser <dave.pooser@alfordmedia.com>
Subject: Re: using hosts file instead of internal DNS?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:47:50 -0600
To: (SIMS Discussions) <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
> I'm a bit wary of setting up MacDNS because our servers are already
> overtaxed with apps; so before I recommend that my client buy a new machine,

I'm not particularly fond of MacDNS, but in the interest of giving the devil
his due its system requirements are pretty minimal-- per the Read Me it
requires minimum of an '020 with 1.5MB free. A Quadra 605 would probably be
plenty-- I've got to think your client will have something like that lying
around. (Shoot me an email if you want a Q605 with 10Base-T ethernet-- I've
got 'em lying around and would let 'em go cheap.) I would strongly recommend
putting it on its own machine, though-- I haven't found it stable enough to
share space on a mission-critical server.
--
Dave Pooser
Manager of Information Services