From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Unknown User
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 16:42:10 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 3:11 PM -0700 5/8/01, Jim Strickland  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
<x-flowed>I have a client who has been corresponding with one of my employees for
over a year with no problem. All of a sudden as of today any messages
she sends to my employee get rejected with a message from her postmaster
saying the the mail was undeliverable because my client is an unknown
user. The only difference in our email server is that last week we
started using an RBL and manually blacklisting some IP addresses. The
message she is receiving doesn't sound to be SPAM related, but is it
possible? Or, is there another problem that I am missing? Any help would
be appreciated.

It is almost impossible to answer that question without seeing the bounce message. Most of them include a quote of the SMTP command and response that caused the rejection. Without that, the only other way to rule out your server being the source of the problem would be looking for the rejection in your logs.