From: Charlie Fletcher <fletchbz@duo-county.com>
Subject: SIMS/AppleTalk/OS X --and Claris E-mailer
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:59:09 -0700
To: <sims>
Hello All,

I'm new to this list, and this may be a repeat question, but I don't
think so. I've checked the list archives and haven't seen anything like
this question there.

I'm attempting to figure out a better way to send mail from a computer
with an AppleTalk connection through SIMS and out to the Internet.

Here's my tale of woe. I'm a "refugee" Claris Emailer user. For nearly a
year, I've been using SIMS in conjunction to Claris Emailer (CE) to
provide a way for my wife to send and receive e-mail from her PowerBook
Duo 230 and our one Internet connection.

The arrangement has been a little klugey, but workable until now. As I am
in the process of moving up to Mac OS X, I'm going to have to say goodbye
to CE. To my knowledge there is no way to get CE to communicate with the
Internet through the Classic Layer of OS X.

However SIMS does continue to work very nicely in the Classic Layer. Both
my iMac, running OS X and my wife's computer, running System 7.5, can
still communicate using SIMS and CE.

Here's the rub -- the place where I resorted to klugery to get this
system to work: My trick was to name the SIMS domain the same as my ISP's
domain. I resorted to that because I couldn't figure out how to use the
router feature in SIMS to redirect mail after spending hours reading the
SIMS and Communigator manuals.

I wanted my wife to be able to send and receive e-mail at her account
with our local ISP. I quickly realized that she could easily send mail.
However I couldn't understand how she could retreive mail from her
account through her CE, AppleTalk, SIMS and out to the Internet.

That works well unless she's sending mail to addresses in that same
domain. In that case, she has to send the mail to me and I redirect it
manually.

For incoming mail, I was able to use a redirect mail action in Claris
Emailer. I would pick up my wife's mail and automatically send it through
SIMS to her computer.

Well that's ancient history, because I can't use CE to access the
Internet under the Classic Layer.

So finally I'm down to my actual questions. (I'm sorry for the length of
this explanation.) First of all, I've read in the SIMS documentation that
it's possible to set up other e-mail clients besides CE to communicate
with SIMS.

-> How does one set up a router command in SIMS (sitting all by itself on
my computer, with a domain registered on the Internet) such that when
mail comes to it with a certain address, it will automatically send it
out to the ISP, but other mail can just go to a local client?

Apple's OS X Mail can specifically create a UNIX mail account, in
addition to POP, IMAP, AND iTools accounts.

Currently it's set up like this (names are all made up):

SIMS domain is, localISP.com.

That's also the domain of our local ISP.

My wife has an e-mail address of "smartlady@localISP.com".

She can send mail directly out to the Internet through AppleTalk using
that arrangement. We can also use CE to communicate with each other using
the OfficeMail feature.

I'd like to set it up so that:

SIMS domain would be, e.g., mydomain.com

My internal address would be "charlie"; my wife's would be "jan".

If we sent mail to each other, the mail would go to charlie@mydomain.com
or jan@mydomain.com.

I'd like to use router commands in SIMS so that my wife could send mail
out to the Internet.

I'd like to be able to use OS X Mail to send and receive mail to my wife
through SIMS.

In the end, if there was a way to do this without using SIMS, I wouldn't
mind, since it looks as though SIMS isn't going to migrate to OS X. The
ultimate goal is to provide my wife with the same connectivity she
currently enjoys, while turning CE out to pasture and migrating up to OS
X.

Again, I apologize for the length of this message. I am really stumped.

Thanks for any help you can provide. :-)

Charlie