From: Joe Wagner <joew@cdr.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Web Email possibilities.
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:03:26 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
www.atdot.org
www.ucdhousestaff.com/email
There is also Justmail by Mainstay (www.mstay.com) which is a fairly compact Java applet that runs in the user's browser on their machine. I've been using that for a while. The biggest drawbacks are a 32k per message display limit and the applet uses pop and smtp protocols which mean you are hosed if you are trying to access your email behind a firewall that blocks external ports 25/110 connections. That's been a common enough experience for me inside some corporate networks or even while traveling in some countries and using that particular country's monopolistic national ISP.  For example Vietnam and occasionally (but not always, go figure) Belize have some sort of port blocking, either for monitoring purposes or to protect the monopoly.

Would anyone know of any web options that handle attachments?  Seems a shame and a security risk to have to go through a third party's machine.

Joe