From: Technical Support, Stalker Labs <support@stalker.com>
Subject: Re: maps; teergrubbing; discussion please?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:39:05 +0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hello,

On Tue, May 29, 2001, 14:46:17 GMT
  Stefan Jeglinski, <jeglin@4pi.com> wrote:

>I ran across these links. Wondering what comments can be offered (Bill?)
>
><http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/maps-dul-is-wrong.html>
>
><http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/maps-relay-test-is-
>wrong.html>
>
>Another link from the first one above regards "teergrubbing." Is this
>a possibility for SIMS to implement?

Too some extent SIMS already implements that - it suspends an SMTP session if there were too many bad RCPT TO passed.

>Does it make sense for SIMS?

Personally, I believe it's better to reject connection altogether rather than start playing games with a spammer.

>Superficially anyway, it seems to dovetail nicely with the anti-DUL
>sentiment, but maybe it's misdirected in its conclusions?

There are several flaws in his logic. SPAM is a big problem. SPAM sources working off fixed IPs are weel known and blocked long ago with RBL or static black lists. SPAMming off a dynamic dial-up address is not very effective unless an open relay server is used (which are blocked also). Dial-up providers have means to pinpoint and punish a spammer working off an address from their dial-up pool. Administrators of remote SMTP servers (victims) do not have such means. So, dial-up SMTP senders should send through their ISP SMTP server, to simplify detection of any misuse of the provided services. With the DUL RBL we can force dial-up users to send through their ISPs.

><http://www.iks-jena.de./mitarb/lutz/usenet/teergrube.en.html>
>

>Stefan Jeglinski

Sincerely,
Stalker Technical Support