From: Tod Fitch <Tod@FitchDesign.com>
Subject: Re: Spam questions
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:24:32 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 04:15 PM 6/13/2001 , Darrin Cardani wrote:
I recently found this in my logs:

22:24:13 1 SMTP-660(ett00.tass.or.jp) Recipient '<rich@c-macgroup.com>' rejected: user unknown
22:24:13 1 SMTP-660(ett00.tass.or.jp) Recipient '<richard@c-macgroup.com>' <snip>
22:24:20 1 SMTP-661(ett00.tass.or.jp) Recipient '<username@c-macgroup.com>' rejected: user unknown
22:24:20 1 SMTP-661(ett00.tass.or.jp) Recipient '<robert@c-macgroup.com>' rejected: user unknown

and a whole bunch more of the same. Obviously, this person is mining for valid addresses. What should I do about this? I don't want to allow this person to ever connect to my mail server again, so how do I block them?

Also, people here have mentioned blocking dial-up IP addresses. Where does the dial-up list exist, and what are the pros and cons of using it?

I think you are running v1.7.

In v1.8b8 you would have eventually seen a message saying that the source was being temp banned and then the following messages would have indicated a 500 error and that the source was suspected of address harvesting.

Also in v1.8b8 is the ability to specify a list of RBL servers. MAPS maintains a RBL that contains entries for a large number (but not all) IP addresses associated with dial up user lines.

v1.8b8 is available on the Stalker FTP site, but is not shown if you use web access. v1.8b8 is very solid. I think it has been a year since I started using it and I cannot trace a single crash to it.