From: Robin Colgrove <robin@louis.bidmc.harvard.edu>
Subject: advice on mail servers when changing over to OS X
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:48:48 -0500
To: (SIMS Discussions) <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

Hi Folks

I see this topic popping up in the list from time to time but since I am getting ready to make the jump to OS X, I thought I'd
ask for the most current experience.

I have a trusty old 7600 that has been a light-use web, mail, news, chat, file, you-name-it server for the past 5 years in my
lab, helping me run a multi-site HIV research project. Bit by bit over the years, it has been upgraded to where it now has 354
Meg of RAM, a Sonnet 400 Mhz G4 upgrade card, USB/Firewire ports on a PCI card, and 10G SCSI and 40G Firewire external Hard
Drives. I started running MacHTTP then went to Ouid Pro Quo, and now want to go to Apache with OS X. For mail servers, I started
with AIMS then EIMS and then switched over to SIMS when the ORBS vigilantes came after me.

This machine has only about half a dozen people and roughly equal number of mailing lists  that use it. The web server gets only
a few dozen hits a day (so performance is not a big deal). I have no budget (in time or money) for the server parts of this
machine so I have to make due with what I can run on the edges of its (funded) use as a bioinformatics machine for my research
(another reason for OS X).

Unless I am reading this wrong, It seems from the archives that SIMS will not be OS X native any time soon, so I am wondering
what to do about mail servers. I am sure a lot of others are in a similar situation, so I thought I'd ask about people's
experience so far. I am not certain about the relative merits of learning sendmail (or other standard UNIX mail servers) vs.
running SIMS in Classic vs. any other cheap, light-use mail servers that might be out there that I don't know about.

Thanks for any advice.

Robin Colgrove