From: Mark Hartman (<xns:=Mark Hartman>) <mh-list@harthaven.com>
Subject: Re: advice on mail servers when changing over to OS X
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:37:43 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 7:58 AM -0700 7/24/01, David Graham wrote:
>At 10:48 AM -0500 7/24/01, Robin Colgrove wrote:
>>Unless I am reading this wrong, It seems from the archives that SIMS will
>>not be OS X native any time soon, so I am wondering
>>what to do about mail servers. I am sure a lot of others are in a similar
>>situation, so I thought I'd ask about people's
>>experience so far. I am not certain about the relative merits of learning
>>sendmail (or other standard UNIX mail servers) vs.
>>running SIMS in Classic vs. any other cheap, light-use mail servers that
>>might be out there that I don't know about.
>
>Stalker's Communigate Pro is a pretty good mail (from all accounts) server
>and runs on OSX. If you are looking for free then you only need one piece
>since OSX ships with SendMail already. For POP or IMAP you can go with a
>variety of different open-source solutions. Stepwise just ran an article
>on setting up OSX as a mail server using Postfix. Check it out at
><http://www.stepwise.com>.

Another consideration, however, is: If it's not broken, why fix it?

If your web server is only getting a few dozen hits a day, is there really
a reason to switch over to OS X (which, to be supported, is going to require
that you use a different computer)?  OS X is wonderful, no doubt, and is
going to be even better in future, but right now you have a highly secure
server system which no doubt works well - mine does, in an essentially
identical configuration - and from your description, you don't seem to
have a load-based need to upgrade.