From: Tod Fitch <Tod@FitchDesign.com>
Subject: Re: Attachment limit
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:37:36 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 02:36 PM 9/12/2001 , Terry Allen wrote:
>At 7:59 pm +1000 12/09/01, Terry Allen wrote:
>
>>Hi again,
>>      Can anyone tell me if there's a limit to the size of the
>>attachments a client can send through SIMS? I have a new client whose
>>attachments may be anywhere up to 20MB each & need to know if there may be
>>any problems.
>

>I believe is is approximately half the free space on the disk that
>SIMS runs on.
>

>Bill Bedford

Hi again,
        Many thanks for that info.

        Bye for now, Terry Allen

It is my impression that the limit for a mail box is about 1/2 of the free space on the disk. I don't think it matters as much what the size of any individual piece of email/attachment is.

Having received a 100 MByte email on my 7200 with (prior to receiving the mail) 200 MBbyte free, I can say that it works. But it is so slow reacting to POP commands that you will thing the machine crashed.

I ended up doing a full PM on the machine, convinced that it was broken.

All I needed to do was let Eudora/SIMS churn on it for about an hour. If you are running a server with more users on it than I have that might not be an option.