From: Tod Fitch <Tod@FitchDesign.com>
Subject: Mac On Linux?
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 07:29:40 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I have out grown the Quid Pro Quo web server that is co-existing with SIMS on my 7200. I need integration between the mail list server and the web server which is easier if both are on the same machine. I am using AutoShare which integrates with SIMS via shared directories, so that is easier on one machine.

Playing with Apache, PHP and MySQL on OS X, it looks like I can do what I want and from what I see on this list SIMS should run okay in Classic mode. But I don't have a G3 or better to throw at the problem.

I have seen a PPC version of Linux that will run on the 7200 (or "better") and have heard of "Mac on Linux" which purports to run Mac applications. Does anyone on this list know if SIMS will run under this? I set up a Sendmail server years ago and don't want to go back to that. What ever I do it will have to run SIMS. :)

For a clean cut over, I will have to configure and test the setup before pulling the plug on the old. This means I will need to buy new hardware regardless of the direction I take. Looking around an early PCI bus PPC Mac is a lot less expensive than a G3 or newer and should be able to handle the load, so that is attractive to me if I can make it work.

Thanks
Tod