From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: A Simple Router Entry
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:49:22 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 1:19 PM -0700 10/17/01, Warren Michelsen  imposed structure on a
stream of electrons, yielding:
At 9:03 AM -0700 10/17/01, Mark Hartman wrote:
At 8:45 AM -0700 10/17/01, Warren Michelsen wrote:
I have a router entry that says: <aName@MDCCLXXVI.com> = Warren

If mail is received for "aName@MDCCLXXVI.com", shouldn't it end up in the
account named "warren"?

That's a possibility.  What "should" happen is that the router should
run through its rules again, but this time parsing for "warren" - and
whatever should then happen to the message for "warren" should happen.

Since "warren" is a local account, shouldn't routing activity end
after this pass through the router? I thought that after each pass
through the router, SIMS checked to see if the recipient being
processed matches a local account.

Nope. SIMS passes addresses into the router rules at the top. When an address is modified, the new address is passed into the router rules at the top. The address is not deemed to be output until it passes the whole router unchanged.

I have this in the router before the entries that parcel out mail to the
assorted virtual domains (<*@domain1> = Dom1-* and so forth.

When I send mail to aName@MDCCLXXVI.com, it is rejected with a No Such
User error.

Am I misunderstanding something really basic about the router?

Only that the router is recursive; in other words, it'll keep on processing
until it gets a definitive final form of the destination.  Rules interact.

Well, the particular rule in question sets the result to a local
account. Why does it give a User Unknown error?

I'd bet that something else is happening in the router that you are missing. It may be helpful to turn logging up to the maximum level and watching what the router is doing to that address.

--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com