From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Secondary Mail Server Activity
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:21:36 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Since setting up a second SIMS box to act as a backup mail server, I've been seeing the occasional activity in the log indicating that it is indeed receiving some mail that is then passed on to the higher-priority mail server. Is this normal?

I had expected that it would only see activity when the higher-priority server was down. Does this perhaps indicate that my primary SIMS box is unresponsive?

At what point does a MTA give up on the high-priority server and begin looking for the lower-priority boxes? Could the RBL lookups be taking too long and making the primary SIMS box look unresponsive?

--

Internet Tools for Business --  <http://www.CyberSpaces.net/>
E-commerce web hosting