From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: WWW vs. CommuniGator (was Re: rewriting SIMS)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 20:03:49 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 1:11 PM -0500 11/7/01, Stefan Jeglinski  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
Interesting.  Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>, to whom Dmitry was responding
when he made the comment about CommuniGator, had "strong negative bias
toward including support for a web-based interface as a core feature".

I was definitely vague there. I had intended to refer specifically to web-based e-mail clients, a subject that has come up on this list from time to time the. I do not have a negative bias toward web-based -admin-, although see below.

have a strong negative bias towards _using_ a Web-based interface:  When I
have it enabled, it means I've just opened a _BIG_ security hole into my
mail server.

Big is a relative term, but your point is well-taken. Does Communigator over a network have no security issues, or only fewer than web-based?

It is far more obscure at least.

I have not examined the traffic from CGator to SIMS, but it cannot be as simple to sniff out and decipher as the HTTP traffic.