Mailing List SIMS@mail.stalker.com Message #9741
From: Frank Fillie <frankfillie@arrowfastener.com>
Subject: RE: sending email from a user without knowing his password
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:39:30 -0500
To: 'SIMS Discussions' <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook, Build 10.0.2627
In 1.8b8 I believe you can make the length of the authentication longer
in the SMTP settings (10 minutes max I think). And I also think that the
ability to authenticate is always on in SIMS so there shouldn't be any
settings to make on the server side. Of course these are just guesses so
someone with some knowledge would have to back them up!

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: SIMS Discussions [mailto:SIMS@mail.stalker.com] On Behalf Of John
Campbell
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 1:29 PM
To: SIMS Discussions
Subject: Re: sending email from a user without knowing his password

Thank you for your reply, Craig.

First, after checking the email a user can send for a period of 30
seconds
after checking the email. After that the SMTP server denies the ability
relay the message. And I believe the time is around 30 seconds.

I guess my question is does SIMS allow for SMTP authentication. I know
how
to do this on the client side (OE v.5.02) but not on the SIMS server
side.
By the way, I am using the free version of Communigator. Maybe I should
upgrade to the pro version.

Many thanks,

Best regards,

John Campbell, Bard's

> From: "Systems" <cbowers@caravel.bc.ca>
> Reply-To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com> (SIMS Discussions)
> Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:56:49 -0800
> To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com> (SIMS Discussions)
> Subject: Re: sending email from a user without knowing his password
>
>
>> I don't see a solution to the following problem. I have the SMTP
service
>> settings set so that Relay for Clients Only and Verify
>> Return-Path boxes are
>> both checked. If say, Harry, from a dial-up account with a dynamic IP
>> address checks his email for harry@bards.org he can within 30
>> seconds send
>> an email from harry@bards.org. The problem is that I don't see
>> why he can't
>> also send an email from sue@bards.org because the smtp server
>> doesn't check
>> for a password.
>
> If I'm understanding you, there isn't a reason.  SIMS shouldn't (and
mine
> doesn't) care who you're sending to, or who you say you are, once
you've
> authenticated with a pop, until that timer expires (you're certain the
> second send is going out in that 30 second window?).  Options are to
widen
> that 30 second window to something more, or use SMTP Auth so the check
> before send isn't required.  Normally a client lets you specify the
> credentials to use as a manual over-ride so you can have multiple
accounts
> setup in your client which may be checking on other servers with email
> addresses in other domains, but still letting you authenticate to a
sims
> account and send outbound through sims.
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig Bowers
>
>
> #############################################################
> This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
> the mailing list <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>.
> To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <SIMS-off@mail.stalker.com>
> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <SIMS-digest@mail.stalker.com>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <SIMS-index@mail.stalker.com>
> Send administrative queries to  <SIMS-request@mail.stalker.com>
>


#############################################################
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>.
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <SIMS-off@mail.stalker.com>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <SIMS-digest@mail.stalker.com>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <SIMS-index@mail.stalker.com>
Send administrative queries to  <SIMS-request@mail.stalker.com>

Subscribe (FEED) Subscribe (DIGEST) Subscribe (INDEX) Unsubscribe Mail to Listmaster